In the beginning there was the record player. Then there was the cassette. The CD was next. And after that came the mini disc and the MP3 player.
But now there is a new chief in town, who goes by the name of Spotify. With over 10,000 new UK users every day and range of advertising offering, Spotify should definitely be your next step in concurring display and social media mountain.
This blog explains what Spotify is and how to get it working for you. It outlines the range of audio and display advert available in order to engage with your target audience.
Spotify is a free and legal music streaming service – think of it as a one-stop-shop for streaming, storing and buying music. Spotify has deals with all of the major music labels, and allows users to access up to 6 million tracks instantly, including new releases.
Some of the major benefits to advertisers are…
1. No hiding from the adverts – audio adverts cannot be skipped, if the volume is turned down then the adverts is paused. All display adverts are only served when the user is actively engaging with Spotify.
2. Zero wastage – all users have to log in to access Spotify, allowing brands to reach their absolute number numbers of their target market.
3. Target who you want, when you want – advertisers are about to target adverts by age, sex, postcode/ region and day/ time. Soon you’ll be able to target by socio-demographic and genre.
Spotify offer a wide range of audio and display advert formats, all of which aim to engage with target audience. Adverts of Spotify have high average CTR’s of between 0.4% and 1%+.
• These adverts are only served when the player is maximised on screen.
• Display adverts will stop showing if the user hasn’t interacted with Spotify for one minute
• Like standard digital, ads can be third party served and Flash/ Gif.
• Only one ad format can be served at one time – banner or tower.
• Billboard advert are served, on a maximised screen when the user hasn’t interacted with the Spotify player for 5 minutes.
• The image ad will stay on screen until the user’s mouse touches the adverts. Then it will roll across or down into a standard skyscraper or banner advert.
• Billboard adverts must be bought as part of a larger package.
• Frequency is capped at 3 – 4 per user to maintain impact.
• Video adverts are triggered through call to actions from a display or audio advert.
• Video adverts include pause, mute, rewind and close buttons.
• 95% of users watched the Pelham 123 trailer from start to finish in the Spotify Video Player
• Take over the Spotify homepage, with brand-themed images and text. The homepage is the default destination once theuser has logged in, so there’s no avoiding it.
• A high impact way to reach you target audience – especially for boosting brand awareness, or promotion a particular product or event.
• MPU adverts are displayed on the homepage, which will provide maximum explosive as soon as the user logs in.
• MPU adverts are at the top of the page, in a high impact position.
• You can display video and display adverts here.
• A combination the two above formats – a brand-themed Spotify homepage that users will see every time they log in.
• High impact for the advertiser without compromising on user experience.